Monday, August 18, 2008

Moomie's Beautiful Burger Buns

A few weeks ago we held a barbecue to celebrate my belated birthday.  M decided he wanted to serve sliders, but we weren't sure where to get small buns.  I checked out a local grocery store but was not impressed by what I found.  So I decided to try making my own.  This recipe has floated around the web with so many different variations that I figured it was a good place to start.  It was incredibly easy (especially using the bread machine to make the dough) and I was able to get about 20 or so slider sized buns out of each batch of dough.  

The rolls were soft and tender with a nice yeasty flavor.  I will definitely tinker with adding fresh herbs and whole wheat flour to future batches to experiment.  I think this will be our new "house roll" and I am determined to try other homemade breads using the bread machine in the future.  

Moomie's Beautiful Burger Buns
Makes 8 full size burger buns (or approximately 20 miniature buns)
1 cup of water
2 tablespoons of melted butter
1 egg
3 1/4 cups of flour
1/4 sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon of instant yeast

1. Place ingredients in order in bread machine.  Select dough cycle, and allow to run to completion.  

2. Dump dough onto lightly floured surface.  Divide into 8 pieces (or smaller pieces if making miniature buns).  Slap into shape (dough is pretty sticky).  Place on greased cookie dough sheets, cover with a towel and allow to rise for 30-40 minutes.  

3. Bake in preheated 375 degree oven for 12-15 minutes.  Cool on wire racks. 

We toasted the buns on the grill lightly before serving.  I also froze leftovers with great success - the buns toasted nicely coming out of the freezer.  

No comments: